Breast enlargement or breast augmentation surgery allows plastic surgeons to provide women with the opportunity to improve the shape of their body, correct defects or injuries to the body, and improve one’s self-esteem.
Breast augmentation surgery, like any surgery, comes with risks, and not everyone is an ideal candidate for surgery. Find out if you may be a good candidate for breast surgery here.
Are You Ready For Surgery?
When you first meet with a plastic surgeon to consult about breast augmentation, he or she will perform an extensive evaluation to decide whether you are a good candidate for breast surgery.
Some information they seek includes information about your reasons for surgery. Women most likely to receive the green light for surgery include women who want to have surgery for the following reasons.
- They want to reconstruct their breasts following a mastectomy or other procedure to eliminate breast cancer.
- They have deformed, asymmetrical, or tubular breasts that do not look or feel normal.
- A woman wants to restore the firmness, elasticity and shape of their breasts after breastfeeding children.
- A woman has smaller breasts and feels breast enhancement surgery will help improve the contours of her body.
Find Out If You Are a Good Candidate for Breast Enhancement Surgery
It is important you are positive you want surgery before you have surgery. Breast surgery will permanently alter the shape and size of your breasts. Surgeons know some candidates for surgery are better than others.
Good candidates for surgery include:
- People that are stable, physically healthy and emotionally well.
- Individuals that understand the procedure, risks, complications and possible outcomes of surgery.
- Individuals that do not smoke and take good care of themselves.
- Women who have high self-esteem and want to augment their breasts for personal reasons, not for others.
If you have a chronic illness, you may be more at risk for complications from surgery than other women. Your doctor will take a comprehensive medical evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate for surgery.
It is important you are very honest with your doctor when you review your medical history. If you fail to mention any medication you may take, or supplement, or health conditions or other activities, you may put your health at risk.
What If Breast Surgery Isn’t For Me?
For women that are not good candidates for breast surgery, there are many other alternatives.
Some women find wearing padded bras a suitable alternative to breast surgery.
Today there are over two dozen manufacturers of designer bras that work in different ways to enhance a woman’s bust. You can also invest in gel inserts that you can place in your bra to make your chest appear bigger, or to create the appearance of a breast where one is lacking.
Another option is using a natural breast enhancement product. Start here to read more about these products.
Remember, self-esteem is important. Having breast surgery can enhance self-esteem, but you should know the best candidates are those that feel confident about their choices and their body before surgery. Breast augmentation surgery can enhance one’s confidence as it improves the contours of a woman’s body and helps correct deformities. It is not however, a replacement for self-esteem.
If you feel uncomfortable with your body and are looking for a way to enhance your life, you might consider counseling before you consult with a plastic surgeon. A trained and certified professional can discuss your reasons for wanting surgery and together the two of you can decide if breast augmentation surgery is right for you, or what steps you can take to feel better about your self image and confidence.